Phoenix Food Culture

If you are like me, you love that things are looking up downtown. A few years ago I thought this city was lacking its own, much needed, culture. But evoloution is taking place and I am delighted to discover what amazing potential we knew we had! Visitors have told me we have a fun, unique food culture..little houses that have been re-done into a great little restaurants. WE LOVE YOU little restaurants!


Central Phoenix Food News Phoenix restaurants

Total Pageviews

Monday, December 20, 2010

Gallo Blanco


Wednesday night dinner at Gallo Blanco is quite the festive occasion. Especially, if you like clanging dishes, a chatty dining room, and flamenco dancing.


Glad we decided on coming here for our midweek date. To be honest I wasn’t expecting the mid-week crowd that we encountered there. Though, restaurants have been adding some Wednesday night flare to attract the mid-week diners, such as Postino Wine Cafe on Central. I am told that is a great night to go, especially for a girls night out, because there is great live music. I plan on riding the cruiser there for my next Wednesday night outing.


We grabbed a table that was right next to the stage set up for the nights entertainment. Waiting in anticipation we ordered our food from the somewhat aloof waiter. I didn’t even realize he was the waiter, dressed in baggy jeans and an oversized T-shirt. He looked up like " Oh, there’s people at that table" and hurried toward us. But once he got wind of his guests (us) he was adequately attentive. I ordered the Huevo's Rancheros one of my favorite breakfast dishes but it must have the egg over medium, which I ordered, and my husband ordered the Fish Torta.

Then, the music started and the dancing began. It was really entertaining. One could tell there was some sort of story line, perhaps some love story where the girl comes up strong and victorious at the end, as she finishes up the show with a strong and emotional dance. No doubt we enjoyed ourselves. The food came out mid-show. The torta came out first, and looked amazing. And it was...absolutely delicious.


Mine came out a moment later, Huevo's Rancheros. It looked okay. The beans strongly resembled Rosarita out of the can, and there wasn't much else going on except for the salsa's the food was drenched in. As far as the flavor, I was not impressed, it was not the best Huevo's dish I have ever eaten. And it did not help that the food was luke-warm and the egg was NOT medium, it was cooked hard. I was so disappointed, because done well, this is an amazing dish. The salsa though that the food was drenched in was really good. It helped spruce up a so-so dish. Overall, I really liked the place, it was a fun night out and my husbands food really was great. I will be back, but will definitely order something else.




Fish Torta




Over Medium?




Gallo Blanco Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment